EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, San Carlos Education Foundation
The San Carlos Education Foundation (SCEF) is a 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to raising critically needed funds in support of the public schools in San Carlos, CA [San Carlos School District (SCSD) and Charter Learning Center (CLC)]. SCEF does not run its own programs, per se; rather it develops and leads fundraising initiatives to raise funds, which it grants annually to SCSD and CLC to support technology, music, PE and other enrichment programs.
To date, SCEF has been managed very successfully by a dedicated board of parent volunteers. The board, however, believes that with its increasing success and budget size, it is time to add professional management. It is believed that this will provide continuity, consistency and “institutional memory” from year to year and well as additional staff support to the volunteer board.
SCEF has a goal to raise $2.2 million in FY13. The net proceeds, after a modest operating budget, are granted following the end of the fiscal year to SCSD and CLC and fundraising begins again. SCEF also manages an endowment (currently valued at $1.6 million). SCEF depends heavily on volunteer support and has a part-time Operations Manager, a part-time Spring Fling Director and a part-time Data Entry Contractor.
The Foundation is seeking a part-time (20-24 hrs. week) Executive Director to oversee and manage its efforts to continue the Foundation’s success at raising financial support for San Carlos schools. The executive director will be expected to work in partnership with SCSD and CLC leadership and the parent community. S/he should possess the capacity to assess and develop new opportunities working with the board to carefully manage resources for long-term organizational sustainability and growth.
The Executive Director (ED) oversees development of the SCEF budget and annual fundraising plan in addition to the financial and administrative systems that support them. The ED is the lead spokesperson and advocate for the organization with the school district, CLC, donors, parents and the community at large.
The ideal candidate will be a team leader and team player who has proven experience in successfully leading a nonprofit organization. The ED will lead the organization’s fundraising efforts and will exhibit a working knowledge of various funding streams. S/he should be successful in building and maintaining strong community partnerships while engaging both internal and external stakeholders. The ED will support the board’s vision and bring an entrepreneurial spirit to help maximize support for our schools.
- Commitment to the mission of the San Carlos Education Foundation.
- Experience as an executive director of a nonprofit 501c) 3 organization.
- Minimum of five years nonprofit leadership experience, including experience with board of director oversight.
- Demonstrated success in fundraising and overseeing large fundraising events.
- Strong business and financial acumen with the skills needed to manage the financial health of a nonprofit organization.
- Strong organizational management and supervisory skills, including the ability to motivate, develop and retain volunteers.
- Ability to build and maintain strong collaborative relationships and work with people across multiple disciplines including experience and skill in working with the parent community and government agencies.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to facilitate on-going and inclusive strategic planning and operational planning.
- Ideally, the successful candidate will be a resident of San Carlos.
The ED reports directly to the Board of Directors. S/he will directly supervise the Spring Fling Director, Office Manager and any other employees. S/he will coordinate with the database consultant and other vendors.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsible to the Board of Directors for the planning, direction, development, administration, supervision and implementation of a comprehensive development program that will complement and provide financial assistance to the San Carlos School District and Charter Learning Center.
- Coordinate and support the Board President and Board of Directors in the following activities: development of the foundation’s strategic plan; development of annual Foundation goals, action plans and budgets; planning and execution of fundraising activities; communication and relationship building with the community; donors and potential donors, district employees at the administrative and campus level.
- Provide consistent leadership and continuity from year to year.
- Manage the organization, fund development, public relations and communications, and strategic/tactical planning. Implement strategic plan and ensure that goals are met by assigned dates.
- Develop community relationships; direct marketing programs and events to cultivate, motivate, and solicit individual, foundation, individual and corporate donors.
- Encourage and facilitate volunteer recruitment and training to ensure a strong volunteer base.
- Raise public awareness of the Foundation. Present the Foundation’s message at school and community forums.
- Coordinate and write grant and endowment requests for funds from the corporate and private sector.
- Oversee the administrative and financial management tasks required to carry out the Foundation’s mission and objectives.
- Coordinate, cultivate and maintain a working relationship with the San Carlos School District/CLC to accomplish the Foundation’s mission and objectives.
- Coordinate and oversee events.
- Performs all other tasks and duties as assigned by the SCEF Board.
More information can be found on the hiring timeline and process here: http://www.scefkids.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/ED_process.pdf